Sunday, June 1, 2014

Magnus!

On Sunday night I asked James to take a picture of me at 39 weeks pregnant. I wasn't very consistent with documenting my pregnancy so I figured, better late than never!  The next day was Memorial Day and we were still deciding if we wanted to celebrate with James' family or stay home. I figured we might as well go and get out of the house. We visited graves at four cemeteries and then had a barbecue at my sister-in-law's house. I was pretty uncomfortable for most of the day. James packed our water bottles with ice water and he reminded me several times to stay hydrated. By the end of the day we were tired but there was no sign of a baby. 

On Tuesday morning James got up to go to work. I heard Mina crying on the monitor so I went in to check on her because James was in the bathroom. As I stepped into her room I felt a small gush. It kept coming in a slow trickle. I hurried into the bathroom to tell James that my water had broken. I told him to hurry and shower and I was going to clean myself up. A few phone calls later we were ready to go to the hospital. 
James gave me a blessing and I made sure we took a picture before we left. Those were two things we didn't do during the false alarm of the week before.  We arrived at the hospital a little before 7 AM. I was checked in triage and admitted. My water broke completely at 7:30 and I was dilated to a 5. By 8 AM I was in a delivery room and in serious pain.
I asked about a good time for an epidural. The nurse told me the anesthesiologist had two patients ahead of me but he would come when he was available. Around 8:30 the nurse checked me again and I was shocked when she told me I was dilated to an 8! I thought for sure that my body hadn't relaxed during those contractions. Luckily, there was still enough time for the epidural. By the time 9 AM rolled around I was feeling great and waiting for Dr. Boheen to arrive. The epidural was amazing and I was giddy from relief. 

Around 9:20 Dr. Boheen arrived and checked me. I was at a 10 so she asked if I wanted to push during the next contraction. It felt so weird because I could push but I couldn't really feel anything. I pushed three times each contraction and after three contractions he was out! At 9:40 AM Magnus James made his appearance!
James cut the cord and we spent some skin to skin time while they cleaned me up. 
This delivery was so fast! I pushed for an hour with Mina and it was more painful. Imagine my surprise when Magnus weighed in at 8lbs 7oz!
I think James is a pretty proud Dad!
My parents brought Mina up to meet her brother around lunchtime. She is in love!


No comments:

Post a Comment