Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Our House! (Door edition)

Back in April we closed on our house in Layton.  Over the next month we worked on the house to make it our own. James and my Dad did a majority of the work, I mostly stayed home and took care of Mina and made decisions. One of the first projects they tackled was to replace the doors in the upstairs.
The original doors in our house were really unusual.  They were tall, closed to the wall instead of into a casing and most of the latches were painted over so they didn't lock. I was familiar with this type of door because my Grandma Keller's house is in the same neighborhood.
The super tall door in our bedroom
The really tall door in the kitchen
The doors HAD to go.  Luckily, my Dad found a new method for installing a door using brackets. He and James tore out the existing door frame, built in a new header and hung the new door! It was a lot less painful than we anticipated, thankfully.
Mina's room and her new door
After the walls were taped and mudded, we painted and installed the trim.  Once again, the "we" was mostly James and my Dad but I did do quite a bit of painting. We painted the casings and baseboards before they were installed.   I patched the baseboards and trim and then covered the patches with more paint.  I really hated trim at that point but I'm REALLY glad we put new trim in our house. It makes a huge difference.
Mina's room, ready for carpet!
Mina playing in her new room

1 comment:

  1. Looks good Lindsay!!! Hoping we find a home soon so we can start these fun projects!

    ReplyDelete