Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Baby names

James and I have been talking baby names for the past year or so, long before we were actually expecting.  I was excited to start our family but I knew it would be after I finished grad school.  Part of it might have been that I was sick of school and I wanted to move on to the next step in life.  Fast forward to now and we have four months (or less) until our daughter is born.  Luckily, we have a name picked out and we both love it.  But, not everyone else loves it.  It's bound to happen.

I found this list on a message board for baby names.  It was posted by an AP English teacher whose class gave these comments about their own names:

1) I'm really glad my parents gave me a 'resume name,' but I've always wished I had a nickname.

2) My parents almost named me Glimmer, but I'm happy they chose (traditional but uncommon name) instead, because I feel like I would have had limited options with a name like Glimmer.

3) I love my name, but I wish my mom would have spelled it the normal way.  I'm named after my grandmother, but she spelled ( Biblical, but uncommon name) normally and everyone mispronounces my name.

4) I love that you don't hear my name everyday, but people know how to pronounce it.

5)I wish people knew how to pronounce my name. 

James and I both decided that we preferred old fashioned names with traditional spellings. 

We're going to name our little girl
Wilhelmina Anne Beardall 
which I like think looks more complete than just
Mina Anne Beardall
Wilhelmina is a family name, specifically my Grandma Keller's great grandma.  I love the nickname Mina and I love the old fashioned elegance of Wilhelmina. Plus, it's a Germanic name so James loves to say it with the German pronunciation (V sound in place of the W's.)

We're pretty set on Lydia Mary if we have another girl but James has some adventurous ideas for boy names.  He wants to use family names: Ronald and Magnus.  His Grandpa's first name was Ronald and James had a pioneer ancestor from Scandinavia named Magnus.  We'll see what actually happens when have a son or sons.


4 comments:

  1. Will I offend if I call her Willy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet little Mina!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I have a great-grandmother on my mom's side named Mina. Not the (Wilhel)mina, but just Mina. I like it.

    ReplyDelete